Our lunch this year consisted of a stuffed and rolled turkey breast, which I’d roasted covered in bacon alongside a ham. I also cooked a mountain of roasted veggies (carrot, parsnip, swede and potatoes) and a big pan of Brussels sprouts.
Once our lunch was over we had a lovely pile of leftovers to see us through the next few days. The leftover cooked veg were divided into two bowls – one of potatoes and one of veg to be used over two days.
· Day one saw sautéed leftover potatoes, served with cold turkey and ham.
· Day two was my own favourite, the leftover veg turned into bubble and squeak, again served with cold turkey and ham.
· Day three saw the last of the turkey and most of the ham turned into a turkey, ham and leek pie. The basic recipe for that is here on the blog, as it’s Christmas I added a generous dash of double cream to the sauce and gave it a rosti leek topping for a change.
· Day four and the last of the ham was used up to make spaghetti carbonara – a 10 minute meal of minimum preparation but oh so satisfying!
· The turkey and ham also stuffed more than a few sandwiches and buns!
Over in an hour ...... not in my house!
Tomorrow I will have to return to the kitchen and make something from scratch!!